Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Why Stewart Lee hates Richard Hammond...  (Read 14640 times)

Offline Charlie

Why Stewart Lee hates Richard Hammond...
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
There is a disgusting comedy routine by Stewart Lee in which he slags Richard off, tells lies about him and says that he hopes that Richard dies.  It certainly is not funny.  I was at school with both of them and I know why Lee is so bitter about Richard.  Richard has always been a thoroughly nice chap. He is unbelievably kind and always stuck up for people who were being bullied. His artistic skills are fantastic and he was always way ahead of everyone else in terms of having a mature outlook.  However, the senior school we went to in 1981 was extremely old-fashioned and had an awful "macho culture".  Richard disliked it from the start.  Lee was at least two years older than Richard and a typical arrogant posh-boy.  I am certan he never knew Richard at all.  Lee always arrogantly thought he was going to be a big star and is now very bitter that an unacademic, down-to-earth character like Richard is a well-loved superstar whilst Lee is just treading the comedy circuit.  That's what happened.  Lee never knew Richard and anything Lee has said about knowing Richard is a almost certainly a complete lie. Thanks for letting me put the record straight.

Offline schlin

Re: Why Stewart Lee hates Richard Hammond...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
Charlie, i just looked some things up on the internet. What he exactly had said about richard, and it's just horrible. You don't say things like that. Not about richard, not about anybody. It's even more horrible that he didn't even know richard! He was just jealous. that's all. Thank you for making things clear about that!

Offline Hammond x3

• Rιchard Hammond <3
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
Thanks for that Charlie!
That is such an awful thing to say about someone! how dare that Stewart Lee have the nerve to talk about something like that on stage. Stewart Lee isnt even funny. He's disgusting and i hope they ban him from performing. Things like that make me annoyed!  :233:
Like you said, he didnt even know him, which makes the whole thing pathetic. He is obviously jealous of Richards success and because he went to the same school as him he thinks he can make out like he knew him.
Stewart Lee is a pathetic little man. the only thing funny about him, is his looks.

Offline madmoo1984

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:19:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Charlie [+]
There is a disgusting comedy routine by Stewart Lee in which he slags Richard off, tells lies about him and says that he hopes that Richard dies.  It certainly is not funny.  I was at school with both of them and I know why Lee is so bitter about Richard.  Richard has always been a thoroughly nice chap. He is unbelievably kind and always stuck up for people who were being bullied. His artistic skills are fantastic and he was always way ahead of everyone else in terms of having a mature outlook.  However, the senior school we went to in 1981 was extremely old-fashioned and had an awful "macho culture".  Richard disliked it from the start.  Lee was at least two years older than Richard and a typical arrogant posh-boy.  I am certan he never knew Richard at all.  Lee always arrogantly thought he was going to be a big star and is now very bitter that an unacademic, down-to-earth character like Richard is a well-loved superstar whilst Lee is just treading the comedy circuit.  That's what happened.  Lee never knew Richard and anything Lee has said about knowing Richard is a almost certainly a complete lie. Thanks for letting me put the record straight.

thanks for the info charlie

( i am a lurker on here now but i thought i should thank you for the info!)

I am guessing that was in Sollihull before richard went to Ripon Grammer school when he moved to North yorkshire ... am i right?

Offline meli12

• Forum Moderator. Ohh Yeah Baby!!!
  • Russell Howard... Frankly i love you xxx
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Thanks Charlie :)

Yes Stewart isn't funny at all! he just insults people! And i was quite upset that the BBC didn't apologise he basically said he wished Richard dead and to me that isn't funny. But Richard acted so graciously and just shrugged it off! I really admire him for that xxx

I don't Know about you.....but i also think it is time that bumble bees had slippers and bunny's had hellicopters :) x

Offline Charlie

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »
In response to the poster above, I must point out that this was at Solihull School.  Richard seems to have enjoyed his later education in Yorkshire and I think the freedom that he found there shaped his future success. 

Offline Mrs Kirstz Hammond

• "Anything Can Happen In Stigworld"
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »
Oh please don't start that argument again.  (Sorry I though you wanted to rant about this Charlie)

So basically Stewart is a complete prat thinking that he would be better than anyone else, when in fact the star is in fact is our lovely Rich.  :028:

And Stewart Lee is an complete  :172:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:13:25 PM by Mrs Kirstz Hammond »
Kirstz is pronounced as 'Kirst'

Offline Paddy_hammond

• The master returns
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 04:04:47 AM »
Hmm. I don't get why people can't just be happy for eachother when someone gets the break.

Offline tjab180

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »
Presumably you have just read this story from the Daily Mail website, or some other source, in which case I feel I must explain the premise behind the joke.

Stewart Lee is a satirist; his style of comedy is not to just lazily attack people in a needlessly aggressive way. But hold on; isn't that what he was doing to Hammond in this performance?

No he wasn't; the Daily Mail took the sketch out of all context. Stewart began by commenting on how, on top Gear, they can make any offensive and rude remark they like, and then qualify it with 'only joking'. Such witty examples include calling lorry drivers prostitue killers, calling Gordon Brown a one-eyed fool, and repeated homophobia. The guys on Top Gear think that saying 'Only Joking' excuses everything.

Stewart Lee's Richard Hammond sketch is an exagerrated parody of this; the whole point is it isn't meant to be acceptable- Stewart Lee doesn't think it is acceptable to wish Hammond dead, and he knows it is an offensive thing to say. However, if he says at the end 'I'm only joking', then does that make it acceptable? If you think no, then you are forced to accept that the jokes on Top Gear are wrong. If you think yes, then you have no more reason to be annoyed at Lee than at Clarkson and co.

Therefore, the point is that Stewart Lee is not having a hugely offensive attack on Hammond; he is merely showing that if he were doing that (in the form of pretending to do that), it wouldn't make it ok if he just said 'only joking' at the end; the joke is extremely clever, and shows the rank hypocrisy of any Top Gear fans or presenters who find it offensive.

As an aside, Lee does not have a personal vendetta against Hammond; he doesn't even know him.

Offline meli12

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »
Hello. I have your above post and i respect your opinion. However i must make a point. Of course Top Gear joke, it is there job to entertain! And so is Stewart Lee's. And even i sometimes think that jeremy goes a bit to far. But they have never on Top Gear wished anyone dead. And to be fair i think that Stewart, although trying to be funny, overstepped the mark. And most times when Top Gear have said something offensive they have appologised. And so far Stewart hasn't done so. Also i would like to hear from Stewart himself that his "joke" was meerly taking the micky out of Richard. Because how would you like it if Richard just walked on Top Gear one day and said "Well to be honest i hate Stewart Lee and think he should die in a jet car just like i nearly did" Just for the purpose of entertainment?? Surely you can understand that we took offence to this. And to bring Mindy ( Richard's wife ) Into the "joke" was totaly unexceptable. What has she ever done? She has never said anything offensive!

Anyway thank you for sharing your point of view with us. It is much appreciated.

I don't Know about you.....but i also think it is time that bumble bees had slippers and bunny's had hellicopters :) x

Offline Mrs Kirstz Hammond

• "Anything Can Happen In Stigworld"
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Hang on just a second, I understand where this guy is getting at.
Lee is basically saying on the 'jokes' that Jezza and Co that are offensive like the Nazi one during the news of series 7, and basically Lee himself is trying to prove his point in that no matter how unfunny and stupid this so called 'comedian' is, that he has some sense in a way. What Stewart is basically saying is that we take all of the jokes our TG lads say as jokes and that no matter how offensive they are in true, that we still laugh. Lee is just making us think about it.

Simple as that, yet again I think the newspapers took this out of context far too much and we got rather pissed off at something and we didn't even know the full story.

Thank you so much for that mate.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 07:07:42 PM by Mrs Kirstz Hammond »
Kirstz is pronounced as 'Kirst'

Offline meli12

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »
Hmm Yeah i get that too BUT i still haven't seen for myself what he exactly said. I would really like to see a clip? does anyone know where i could find it?

Offline #1_hamster_fan_

• Hamster Rules!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 08:36:37 AM »
Stewart Lee  :125: :172: :125: :172:
@!#$%^&*":<?/>';+=_-]{HAMSTER RULES{[-_=+;'>/?<:"*&^%$#@!

Offline tjab180

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 11:48:17 AM »
@ meli12

You're missing the point again. It was *meant* to be offensive and passed the mark. That was why it was so exaggerated and extreme. In pushing the joke to its furthest logical conclusion, Lee has shown that you can't just say whatever you like and then somehow make it ok by saying 'only joking'. If the accusation is that Stewart Lee has gone too far, then his aim is achieved entirely because he has demonstrated the hypocrisy of anyone who is offended by it, and yet is entertained by some of the jokes on top gear (although they haven't wished anyone dead, I would say their encouragement of general bigotry is perhaps as bad).

In short, the entertainment does not come from him wishing Hammond dead; in fact, if you read accounts of the routine the audience sit awkwardly during it, which I think is the intention. The entertainment comes from the punchline 'but I'm only joking' which draws out the conclusion I spoke about above.

I can absolutely see why you took offense to this, because the way the joke was reported was completely out of context. But I hope you see that it was intended to cause offense, in order to show how such remarks can't be qualified just by saying 'Only joking'.

Offline meli12

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
Okay, Thanks for sharing that with us. I understand where he is getting at. Trying to say about top gear and how they can get away with anything. So thanks again

* Recent Topics

Hey! by Richiesfan
[August 27, 2014, 01:56:54 PM]

Richard falls down the stairs at Jezza's birthday bash. by Stewart Lee
[May 09, 2014, 11:30:41 PM]

Car accident by Lynnie
[December 06, 2013, 11:58:52 PM]

omnibus-minimum